Senior PHP Engineer – Product (m/f/d) // ResearchGate
The web was created by scientists and for scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Here at ResearchGate, we are looking for a PHP backend engineer to join our product team, which is building the features to connect scientists worldwide.
We are a bunch of passionate optimists from all around the world and many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on taking the web back to its original mission and changing the way scientists communicate for the better.
We love what we do. We connect the world of science and make research open to all.
We are looking for an enthusiastic PHP backend engineer with the skills and ability to turn great ideas into reality.
- Work closely with frontend engineers, to provide them with the REST or GraphQL backend they need to build user facing features
- Work collaboratively, be it organizing cross-team dependencies or with other functions such as Product, Analytics and Design to find out about our users needs and ultimately ship the right features for them
- Define data models and business logic for a feature, integrate it with our databases or internal web services
- Test, optimize and troubleshoot applications before and after deployment
- Continuously improve our code base by setting internal standards and raising quality when conducting code reviews
- Take ownership and earn responsibility for the success of a specific system or feature and own medium to long-term initiatives
You will join an environment where people come first. Your increasing scope of ownership and autonomy will be one metric to your successful personal development. You can expect:
In 3 months, you will work on user facing features together with your team’s frontend engineers. After defining the API and related data model, you will be able to independently implement the business logic and integrate with databases and web services. Over time you will gain more and more insights into our ecosystem.
In 6 months, you will earn the responsibility to define and implement the backend for a feature independently. At this point, you will know about the team’s dependencies and successfully coordinate with contributors and stakeholders. Your understanding of the ecosystem will have grown and you will be able to contribute in the definition of best practices and elevation our standards.
In 12 months, you will drive the implementation of a feature independently, without needing the guidance of your peer engineers. You will deeply understand the environment you are working on and will be looking out for opportunities to improve its design, architecture or the processes around it.
To be successful in this role you should bring along:
- Excellent knowledge of PHP and its ecosystem. Ideally you have worked with modern PHP frameworks such as Symfony4 or Laravel
- Familiarity with best practices of software engineering, such as SOLID and “clean code”, you understand how to apply them in the PHP environment
- Experience with building and integrating REST-like or GraphQL APIs
- Know-how of integrating web services or databases, and awareness of the challenges they bring, how to handle and optimize their integration
- Proficiency in automated testing, you ensure the correctness and quality of your implementations on the long-term
- Experience working and building scalable systems
- You are a strong critical thinker and have a results-driven mindset
- You keep up-to-date with trends and best practices in PHP development
- You value transparency and open communication
- You are open to alternative concepts and take feedback from your peers as an opportunity for improvement
Joining ResearchGate gives you the possibility to:
- Work with impact. At ResearchGate your input can help scientists and researchers to gain knowledge and solve problems of modern society.
- Build at scale. ResearchGate is one of the most visited sites on the Internet. With us, you can create features that are used by millions of researchers per week.
- Innovate through iteration. Agile methodologies are core to our success – this way of working allows you to build a feature, measure its success and learn how to improve it in short iterative cycles.
- Grow at work. Whether you want to be a manager or an architect, you will get the guidance you need. With regular one on ones, quarterly development talks and defined career levels, you and your manager will identify possible paths for you to grow. We provide education budget and free days to attend conferences to make sure you can gain knowledge in the fields you are most interested in.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated. You will be interviewed by the people you will be working with, pair-program with us in an on-site interview and quickly find the role that suits you best to start making an impact.
We’re located in the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world and a place where people from all walks of life feel welcome.