Senior Software Engineer, Backend
We are Latana, an innovative product focused on capturing the $5 billion+ brand tracking market. Put simply, Latana gives brands the tools to make better marketing and campaign decisions by giving them world-class insights about their brand performance. In its short existence, Latana has already started working with some of the hottest B2C brands, including Headspace, Transferwise, Unilever, and more – and we’re just getting started!
About the Role
As Senior Software Engineer, you will work closely with your fellow engineers, your Tech Lead and members of the Product team to deliver top notch software as part of a rapidly-growing company.
Our small engineering teams of 3–8 people are encouraged to solve their own problems with a great degree of freedom, to see their work through to completion and to take pride in – and full ownership of – the applications they work on. You will find plenty of opportunities for career development, personal growth and technical problem solving as part of an upbeat, optimistic team of engineers who share your enthusiasm for open and empathetic communication.
- Utilize tools like Ruby, Rails, Python, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB and Kubernetes.
- As a senior engineer you will set the standard for your team.
- Take initiative in setting estimates and delivering to both internal and external deadlines.
- Produce clean work. You produce well-documented pull requests that can be understood by your colleagues, and you document the higher level behaviour of your applications.
- Testing your code whilst understanding the trade-offs that need to be made in some testing circumstances.
- Enthusiastic problem-solving and the ability to help the people around you succeed.
Your Skills and Experience
- Proven expertise with Ruby and with the Ruby on Rails framework, as well as proficiency with at least one other programming language.
- Good understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases, experience with high traffic load projects
- Ability to lead – you are comfortable driving projects forward with your technical decision making.
- An excellent command of written and spoken English.
- You are productive when working with legacy code and you are always looking for refactoring opportunities.
- You have an automate-everything approach – streamlining processes and eliminating manual work excites you!
- You prefer collaborative work over working alone – team success is important to you.
- You use your years of experience to raise the team higher, but you are humble enough to accept that you can always learn something new from your more junior colleagues.
What We Offer
- Challenging, yet encouraging work environment.
- The opportunity to contribute to the success of a fast-growing, market-leading product.
- Lifelong learning budget to contribute to your continuing education.
- Yearly stipend for use on public transport or personal fitness via Urban Sports Club.
- In-house coaching to help you grow personally and professionally.
- A MacBook Pro and all the peripherals you need to succeed in our remote working package.
- Beautiful office in Berlin-Kreuzberg with the opportunity to work remotely.
- Regular team outings on our two company boats plus regular social events!