Senior VR Software Engineer
We believe that virtual reality and specifically the new generation of stand alone units provide the opportunity to learn a new language in an immersive spatial context that has never been possible before. That’s why Chatterbug’s VR team is working with our extensive and experienced team of curriculum developers and educators to design and develop immersive experiences that help students acquire and retain vocabulary and grammar more intuitively and efficiently. We are now looking for a Senior Virtual Reality Software Engineer to join us in exploring and discovering what VR can do to empower language learners!
As a Senior Software Engineer
- You will be responsible for development, maintenance, testing as well as quality and performance assurance of multiple core systems
- You will have a strong influence in building a software architecture in support of our plans
- Your focus will lie in maintaining and creating the foundational systems upon which our VR team implements gameplay
- You’ll play an important role in making our games fun and our educational approach effective
You are a 3D game or virtual reality software engineer who is curious to explore with us how virtual reality can aid language learning. You will join a small but experienced development team and are comfortable with multiple aspects of game or VR development.
You are experienced and interested in working with the game engine Unity and think that providing a highly performant experience on a mobile device like the Oculus Quest is an interesting challenge.
Ideally you have first-hand knowledge of what works and doesn’t tend to work in VR and can creatively work with others to build amazing experiences. You want to work in a team that iterates quickly, listens to real users and ships fast.
You’re an active learner whose passions may include learning languages. (If you know a language other than English please tell us!)
Benefits at Chatterbug
- A role in shaping a new and exciting part of the company
- We’ll pay for you to learn a language – either with us or take a class, on us. You can also elect a friend or family member to learn with us for free, too
- 26 days paid holiday
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work from home
- Regular fun events, team dinners and an annual company summit abroad (quarantine permitting)
- A wonderful rooftop office in the heart of Berlin (with free fruit and amazing coffee!)
- You live in Berlin or are willing to move here
- At least 5 years experience working in games or VR
- Strong foundation of fundamental programming principles
- You write maintainable and performant code in C#/Unity – either because thats your thing or because you have experience working with other 3D game engines
- You’ve worked on a small team from day one or desire to do so
- You’ve worked on released games or VR applications
Additionally, please let us know if…
- … you have made a game perform better on mobile.
- … you have an intuition about what is fun in games
- … you have worked with Addressables in Unity or on delivering downloadable content packs.
- … you have worked in language-focused problem spaces such as localization or computational linguistics.
Want to apply?
Click the ‘Apply now’ button to do so through our website and tell us why you think Chatterbug might be a good fit for you and what you’ve done before. We look forward to hearing from you!