Staff Backend Developer
Getsafe is one of the fastest growing tech companies in Europe. Through our app, we offer digital insurance and protect people and everything that is important to them, so that they can live freely and self-determined – regardless of who they are and how they live.
Our team has over 120 colleagues from more than 25 nations. To help Getsafe continue to grow, we are looking for talents who think entrepreneurially and share our values: we grow together, can rely on each other and turn opportunities into successes. We have offices in Heidelberg, Berlin and London.
As Getsafe is expanding, we’re looking to bring in highly experienced backend engineers to help us grow quickly through high-quality scalable solutions. We’re looking for somebody who has worked on major architectural problems before and is looking to go to the next level themselves as part of a still small engineering team. You’ll split your time between figuring out the right technical solutions to push the business forward, mentoring other engineers on the team, and being a hands-on part of programming the solutions. You will work across our engineering squads depending on where the need is the greatest at the time, which you’ll be a part of deciding, and report directly to the VP Engineering. This role can be based in our Heidelberg HQ, Berlin or remotely in Germany.
What you’ll be doing:
- Split your time between coming up with software solutions (including architecture), helping/mentoring other engineers to implement these solutions, and programming yourself (in that order of priority).
- Work closely with product managers to understand goals (short and long-term) and make sure other engineers are making the right technical decisions to achieve them. Possible product areas include: claims, expanding into new markets/products, and partner integrations.
- Hold yourself and the team to high technical standards
- Figure out ways to leverage our technology for bigger impacts
Your experience and abilities:
- 6+ years experience in backend development working on complex distributed systems, including micro-services and different database technologies.
- You have advanced knowledge of Ruby/Rails or a similar language (Python, Perl, PHP, JS, Elixir, etc), but are always on the lookout for new technologies and programming languages we should take advantage of.
- A strong interest in learning and keeping up with industry standards. You don’t need to be an expert in everything, but if there’s a problem we need to solve, we expect you to be able to do the deep research to figure out how we need to solve it.
- You can distill a complex problem into multiple parts and clearly communicate your technical vision to the team
You can look forward to:
- A fast and value-oriented company with flat hierarchies and helpful colleagues
- A positive, focused, appreciative, and goal-oriented atmosphere. Our working environment is our heart and soul
- Getsafe is shaped by each and every one of us. We are a close-knit team and host after work events
- A competitive remuneration package with trust-based working hours as well as sustainable career and development opportunities. We invest in your growth!
- Support for relocation, work permits, and other administrative procedures as well as free German classes, if needed
- Flexible working hours
- Home office option
- 28 days of vacation
- Individual education budget
- Employee participation program
- Choose your own hardware
- Central location & modern office
- Job ticket & job bike
- Team events
- Free snacks & drinks
- Employee discounts
- Employee referral program
Interested? Let’s chat!