Systems Engineer (SRE/DevOps)
Tackling the complex banking system to empower people in one of the world’s most bureaucratic markets seems like a crazy idea, right? But that’s why, how, and where Nubank was born. We fight complexity through our transparent and straightforward products and experiences: a no-fee credit card, a rewards program, a lending platform, and a digital savings account. In a nutshell, we are the most innovative tech company in Latin America, and we are obsessed with building financial services and products that make our customers love us fanatically. With over 30 million customers and $1 billion raised in investment rounds, we are the fastest growing digital bank in the world, with offices in Brazil, Germany, Mexico, Colombia and Argentina. And it’s still only Day One for us!
About the Berlin team
Nubank’s Berlin office hosts the data infrastructure platform team. We’ve built a self-service data processing platform from scratch that empowers everyone in our company to build, process, and query datasets that help push forward their work. Our main users include data analysts, data scientists, business analysts, backend, and data engineers. The team is focused on building well thought out and documented user APIs, backed by scalable data ingestion, processing, and serving systems. We make heavy use of the standard Nubank tech suite (Clojure et. al.), but since we are responsible for the data processing pipeline, you’ll also find Scala, Spark, Mesos, Aurora, Airflow. You will also be in touch with DynamoDB, Amazon Aurora, and Datomic for databases, Tekton CI/CD, monitoring with Prometheus and Splunk, and asynchronous communication using Kafka.
What are some examples of problems a Systems Engineer might solve?
Here at Nubank we treat infrastructure and operations as Software Engineering problems, therefore it’s expected of a Systems Engineer to have solid programming skills coupled with strong expertise on networks and operating systems. We consistently work with new technologies and thus value professionals who are open to learning new things, regardless of pre-existing comfort zones.
Some of the problems you’ll encounter:
- Manage dozens of Mesos clusters processing hundreds of TBs of data with Spark
- Optimize the infrastructure serving batch ML models to microservices
- Automate and incrementally improve databases and microservices provisioning
- Scale systems efficiently through configuration tuning and/or architectural changes
- Troubleshoot/debug performance issues and architectural bottlenecks
- Cultivate a culture of automation, observability and monitoring
You will fit well if you have experience with:
- Infrastructure as code (e.g., CloudFormation, Ansible, Terraform, Pulumi);
- Container orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS, Docker Swarm, Mesos);
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, DynamoDB, ElastiCache, S3, RDS, ELB, ASG, IAM, CloudWatch, SNS, CloudTrail, Config);
- Monitoring (Prometheus, Grafana, NewRelic, InfluxDB, Librato, Splunk);
- Microservices and CI/CD pipelines (GoCD, CircleCI, TravisCI, Jenkins, CodePipeline, Tekton);
- Programming Languages (Go, Rust, Python, Ruby, C)
Experience with the following is desirable:
- SQL / NoSQL databases (Datomic, DynamoDB, AWS Redshift, PostgreSQL);
- Distributed data processing frameworks (Spark, Flink, MapReduce);
- Networking and tooling on Linux/Unix-like environments (eBPF, bcc, flamegraphs, tcpdump, netstat, iperf, nmap, traceroute, iptables);
- Large scale operations with Kafka and Zookeeper;
- Functional Programming Languages (Clojure, Scala, Haskell)
- Data Workflow Management Systems (Apache Airflow, Argo, Luigi)
Don’t worry if you don’t know all of it! Having experience in some of it and being willing to learn is enough to apply.
You will have a meaningful chance to shape architecture, process, and culture while working with bleeding edge technologies. We believe in good team chemistry, enthusiasm for building things, and our surprising capacity to learn new things when we stay humble and open-minded. Good computer science skills and concepts as well as English language skills are essential.
We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions. We value working in small, independent teams that feel like small startups within the company, and eschew coupling and centralizing where realistic. We understand that execution is the key to success, and optimize processes to remove bottlenecks.
- 28 days of vacation
- Competitive compensation package, including the opportunity to earn equity ownership in Nubank
- Wellness and learning benefit
- Flexible hours
- Relocation assistance (when outside of Berlin)
Diversity and Inclusion
We want to have a product for everyone, and we build strong and diverse teams that rise to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or background. We are proud to say that 30% of Nubanker recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team comprises women in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is an essential part of our culture. At Nubank, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow, and share ideas.