SEO Manager (Part-time/Freelancer)
Tandem is the leading global language learning community, where 10 million members in over 180 countries practice languages together. The concept of learning from each other is not only an integral part of the Tandem community but it is also at the heart of our everyday lives at Tandem. This shared connection through learning helps us to grow and enhances the language journeys of our members.
We are based in Berlin and are backed by top European investors. We are highly international and driven by a shared passion for languages, technology, and culture. Together, we are on a mission to build a product that not only teaches a new skill but also encourages meaningful cross-cultural conversations.
We are looking for an experienced and data-savvy SEO Manager to help us drive more organic traffic to Tandem’s website. As a core member of the website team, you will be owning the SEO strategy and initiating large-scale projects to bring more budding language learners into the Tandem community.
What you will do:
- Own and execute Tandem’s SEO strategy across several markets, with a particular focus on organic traffic growth, increasing keyword rankings, and content creation.
- Review and optimize all technical aspects of the website, such as page speed, website architecture, indexing, and crawling.
- Perform thorough keyword research to uncover untapped opportunities and support the content pipeline planning.
- Guide the copywriters on optimizing website content and landing pages.
- Explore product-led SEO approaches to drive rankings and organic growth.
- Collaborate closely with engineers, designers, the website product manager, and content marketers, to launch experiments and impactful SEO improvements.
- 3 – 5 years of hands-on SEO management experience, ideally in the B2C mobile space. Technical SEO experience is a must.
- Familiarity with relevant SEO, content management, and web analytics tools (SEMrush, Contentful, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and Google Search Console).
- A scientific mindset – you know how to collect and analyze data, develop hypotheses, design experiments, and interpret results.
- You are passionate about languages and their role in building bridges between cultures.
- Fluent in English.
- Bonus points:
- You are interested in writing content.
- You have a good understanding of SEO best practices in China, Korea, and Japan.
- Front End engineering skills.
Life at Tandem
Passion for languages
We’re a team of 29 people speaking 21 languages fluently between us. For those wanting to improve their German (or Denglisch!), you can join one of our German classes on us. We also run regular Spanish, Russian, and German lunches!
Take a deep dive
As a Tandem team member, we’ll give you a budget for up to 6 “Deep Dive Days” per year. Pick a topic you’ve always wanted to explore for your professional development that has never made it out of your backlog. Then book a cabin in the woods or whatever matches your individual learning style.
Teams who train together, stay together
We offer Urban Sports Club gym memberships to boost our team’s physical and mental health. If you prefer, we can contribute to your monthly public transport ticket instead.
It takes a team to Tandem
Bonding with our teammates outside of our normal work routine is important to us. We organize regular team events: from day trips to weekly lunches, to Friday beers, summer BBQs, and board games.
Life isn’t just about work. We know when to snooze Slack notifications, recharge our batteries, and take time out for our personal hobbies. As we’re mostly working from home right now, it’s even more important to be able to switch off from work and relax.
As part of our family-friendly company philosophy, we embrace flexible working hours, welcome families to our events, and love for our kids to visit the office and get a taste of life at Tandem.
Relocation without the stress
If you’re looking to relocate to Berlin, we’re ready to assist you with the infamous German bureaucracy. Many of us have been through it before, so we have plenty of tips to share. You’ll feel settled in no time.
An office that sparks joy
Our open-plan working oasis is located in the heart of Berlin-Mitte. We offer a free choice of IT setup and whatever tech you require. As an added bonus, our kitchen is always fully stocked with free drinks, healthy snacks, and fresh fruit.