VP Legal / CLO (Chief Legal Officer) – Established company
Pixsy is looking for a VP Legal to join our established product and team in Berlin, Germany. Since 2015, we’ve built the most popular service for finding and fighting image theft online with our unique matching software and expert copyright licensing and legal services. We’ve helped 85,000+ photographers, brands, agencies, and media companies uncover over 300 million uses of their photos online. Each day we monitor over 100 million images for matches on the public internet and handle legal claims in over 20 countries.
As VP Legal, you will be taking a management role in a company, service, and product that has been growing for the last 6 years. You will oversee the legal operations of our rapidly growing copyright infringement case business, as well as build new legal and case processes. As we continue to expand our market-leading position and eye our next goals of 1 billion images and handling 1 million claims worldwide, we are looking for a leader to manage this growth.
CLO (Chief Legal Officer) role possible for the right candidate, or as a future growth opportunity.
As VP Legal at Pixsy, you will:
- Hit the ground running on day 1 (taking responsibility right away)
- Work directly with the Head of Case Management and a team of 10 in-house licensing case agents
- Work with our network of over 25 partner law firms to ensure outstanding performance and strong long-term relationships
- Assess risks and opportunities across our operational business, and implement appropriate actions (without complex approvals)
- Build and improve case handling processes, documentation, automation, decision making, approval workflows, and interfaces/systems
- Monitor and improve core KPIs to increase performance, conversion, success, and profitability
- Analyze large amounts of data looking for patterns, opportunities, and risks
- Own all legal documents, contracts, agreements, and templates – balancing legal risk with easy to understand language (our aim is to make copyright law easy for our customers)
- Develop the next generation of our in-house post-licensing program
- Develop the next generation of our legal case handling
- Develop future case/legal products both for internal use and shipped to our customers
- Take a leading role in complex and large litigation matters – outsourcing to our local legal partners
- Oversee corporate legal matters and topics for Pixsy as a company (including data protection)
- Report directly to CEO and work closely to align roadmap and strategy
- Attract, hire and retain great talent
- Set the tone, build the culture, be a role model
- Be the legal face of the company to the outside world and build a strong presence in the market
- A true founder mindset. Hands-on, driven, resilient, and don’t take no for an answer.
- Fully qualified lawyer in Germany (or from at least one EU jurisdiction) or you are in possession of a university law degree (L.L.M. or equivalent is considered an asset)
- 5+ years legal experience with a mix of in-house and firm experience, ideally in an international setting – experience in the media field and/or with a fast-growing start-up is a big plus!
- You have solid experience in managing teams, projects, and a high quantity of legal matters
- You have experience or working knowledge of copyright and intellectual property
- You are a skilled negotiator and consider the overall business context when coming up with ideas and when making decisions
- You have excellent drafting, written, and verbal communication skills (English is our corporate language)
- You have built up an in-house legal team or department before and have successfully implemented efficient systems & processes
- You are motivated to bring justice to the little guy – the majority of our clients are photographers whose livelihood comes from licensing their photos
- You are motivated to make complex legal products easy and accessible on a global scale
- You enjoy being part of an international company, and your communication style is proactive and open
- English (native level fluency – written and spoken). German is a plus.
- Competitive compensation + ESOP
- Complete ownership of your topics – no complex decisions making processes
- Work in a young, collaborative, and fast-paced environment
- Training and development budget
- Travel budgets to represent Pixsy in the marketplace