Product Manager – Growth
Tandem is the leading global language learning community, where 10 million members in over 180 countries practice languages together. The concept of learning from each other is not only an integral part of the Tandem community but it is also at the heart of our everyday lives at Tandem. This shared connection through learning helps us to grow and enhances the language journeys of our members.
We are based in Berlin and are backed by top European investors. We are highly international and driven by a shared passion for languages, technology, and culture. Together, we are on a mission to build a product that not only teaches a new skill but also encourages meaningful cross-cultural conversations.
We are looking for a bright, data-driven, collaborative operator to help us tackle growth problems from inside the Tandem app. You’ll be working with the Head of Growth on projects that accelerate the number of people who benefit from the core value of the Tandem community. For example: optimizing our acquisition funnels, identifying new monetization streams, and driving user stickiness through targeted lifecycle messaging.
What you will do:
- Design and execute product experiments that drive Tandem’s core growth metrics: retention, engagement, and paid conversion.
- Work with cross-functional teams of engineers, designers and marketers to launch impactful improvements across Tandem’s AARRR funnel.
- Own and articulate new feature requirements to design and technology teams, primarily mobile client and backend engineers.
- Analyze in-app event data to produce insights about Tandem’s user dynamics and build testable hypotheses around those discoveries.
- Run user interviews and market research to validate product decisions and identify new growth opportunities.
- You are highly passionate about languages and their role in building bridges between cultures.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher – business, statistics, or computer science-related degree preferred.
- 3+ years of hands-on growth, analytics, or product management experience.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions.
- High degree of awareness and critical thinking around digital consumer trends.
- Experienced project manager, capable of owning new feature launches from start to finish and collaborating smoothly across diverse sets of stakeholders.
- Literacy in common growth KPIs affecting engagement, retention, and monetization.
- Basic competency in statistics – ability to design experiments and correctly interpret results.
- A scientific mindset – you know how to collect and analyze data, develop hypotheses, design experiments, and interpret results.
- Bonus points: you possess a technical skill set that makes you resourceful in lean environments – you can query your own data with SQL, explore large data sets using Python or R, or mock up your own email template using HTML or CSS.
- Fluent in English.
Life at Tandem
Passion for languages
We’re a team of 24 people speaking 20 languages fluently between us. For those wanting to improve their German (or Denglisch!), you can join one of our German classes on us. We also run regular Spanish, Russian, and German lunches!
Take a deep dive
As a Tandem team member, we’ll give you a budget for up to 6 “Deep Dive Days” per year. Pick a topic you’ve always wanted to explore for your professional development that has never made it out of your backlog. Then book a cabin in the woods or whatever matches your individual learning style.
Teams who train together, stay together
We offer Urban Sports Club gym memberships to boost our team’s physical and mental health. If you prefer, we can contribute to your monthly public transport ticket instead.
It takes a team to Tandem
Bonding with our teammates outside of our normal work routine is important to us. We organize regular team events: from day trips to weekly lunches, to Friday beers, summer BBQs, and board games.
Life isn’t just about work. We know when to snooze Slack notifications, recharge our batteries, and take time out for our personal hobbies. As we’re mostly working from home right now, it’s even more important to be able to switch off from work and relax.
As part of our family-friendly company philosophy, we embrace flexible working hours, welcome families to our events, and love for our kids to visit the office and get a taste of life at Tandem.
Relocation without the stress
If you’re looking to relocate to Berlin, we’re ready to assist you with the infamous German bureaucracy. Many of us have been through it before, so we have plenty of tips to share. You’ll feel settled in no time.
An office that sparks joy
Our open-plan working oasis is located in the heart of Berlin-Mitte. We offer a free choice of IT setup and whatever tech you require. As an added bonus, our kitchen is always fully stocked with free drinks, healthy snacks, and fresh fruit.